Thursday 8 January 2009

Shelley's New York

Monday 5th January

Well, it doesn't get much better than this! On Monday 5th January (my birthday!), 32 students and three members of the drama department (Shelley, Chris, Rob) headed towards NYC for our first international residential. We arrived early morning to a snow-filled campus and began the first leg of our journey to London Heathrow. It was hard to believe that by the end of the day we would be in NYC. We had a great journey, although checking in 35 of us in at the self-check in desks at LH was interesting to say the least.We had a great flight to JFK and most of the students refrained from singing show songs during the flight!

A few hours later we were at the top of the Empire State Building. It was absolutely amazing and wonderful to share with our students. We finally ended the evening in a NYC diner with 'eggs over easy'. Quite frankly, an amazing birthday and one that I think we will all remember for a long, long time.

Tuesday 6th January

For our first full day in NYC we headed towards, what will become our favourite diner, for a
breakfast of steak and eggs, pancakes and syrup and bagels to set up us for the day ahead.

We then made our way to Ground Zero and the World Trade Centre Tribute Centre. This was such an important trip and one that affected us deeply. We read stories of such terrible anquish and heartache and also true accounts of unbelievable courage, bravery and hope. A truly life changing experience.

For the afternoon (after a NYC hotdog), we sailed to Staten Island and waved to the Statue of Liberty. It was freezing cold and snowing, but that didn't stop us standing on the deck of the ferry. Then, being extremely brave we made our first subway trip to Times Square and saw Equus on Broadway. I am so pleased that this was our first Broadway Show, the students loved it. Overall, a most wonderful day!

Wednesday 7th January (Staffordshire Students and Shelley, perform at NYC Theatre)

Today (after steak, eggs, pancakes, syrup, etc, etc...) we spent the day at the Museum of Modern Art. We saw so many important works of Art, including key works relating to modules the students were taking. From an educational perspective this was a really important trip, but it was also really fun! I think the students really liked lying on huge sofas for a contemporary video art installation.

In the evening we made our way to Greenwich Village for a thought-provoking performance by a Dutch company. It wasn't the best work we have seen but then....

I persuaded a group of students to go to a late night comedy improvisational session. But, when we arrived we realised that we could perform with NYC actors. So, we did! Staffordshire Students (and Shelley), performed in a NYC venue with NYC actors. It was both terrifying and amazing. Perhaps you should read the students comments:

Wednesday night saw eight of us plus Shelley sign our dignity away to the Magnet Theatre's late night comedy impro event... Needless to say the 'Stafford- Shire students, plus their "hip" teacher, showed them how to do it. With scenes of ghost towns, pervy men, inappropriate funeral and female domination with one student David, the night was not one to be forgotten - especially for those who opted to watch rather participate - incredibly wise! (posted by James).

1 comment:

  1. We started off the trip with a birthday celebration for Shelly (21 again) which was a nice high to begin with.

    I found NY both exciting and fun.The hostel was very clean and tidy the hot water a challenge sometimes. Our first night we spent exploring the Empire state building which was fabulous, the panoramic night time view I captured on my camera. After the visit to Empire state, we went for a meal at the diner in the picture. This venue ended up being our regular breakfast spot. Until I realised we could make our breakfast after finding a lovely shop opposite the diner.
    Tuesday, we went round old parts of NY with Chris leading the way. It was very interesting finding old buildings as I love old architecture. We eventaully reached ground zero which was incredible in the fact they are rebuilding a freedom tower in replacement of the twin towers. I had a lengthy chat with the security officer who filled me in quite a bit. Apparetnly the foundations are being built on top of what they called "ground hog"level. We were actually standing on level six.
    We then went to visit the tribute meuseum. The moment I entered the buidling, I felt an over whelming feelng of love. The commnunities had come together and worked together to rebuild their lives and this had made them stronger.It was very emotional but very positive to see new life coming from a disaster.
    We then went on the ferry to Statton Island and passed the Statue of Liberty which was wonderful to see. I have to admit, that when ever I see the statue, I always remember the film "ghostbusters" when the statue moves to the music of "Your love keeps taking me higher" it's symbol of freedom.
    Later, we all caught the subway back to Time square, which took everyones breath away. We split up into groups and some went sight seeing or shopping. I went with two others to Planet Hollywood a shop, and we had a superb meal and saw lots of memorabelia hanging from the ceiling. There was lots of sci fi stuff so I was in my element.
    Later we went to see Equss which was brilliant, I was very surprised to learn from the programme that Kate Mulgrew was in the play. for any trekkie fan out there, Kate was captin Janeway out of Enterprise.
    Wedensday was Chris birthday, (all these people 21 aggain)! This time Kate(not the actress) and I went to visit China Town in the pouring rain. We were very dissapointed as there were hardly any shops open and by the time we got to the centre of China town, the mist had sat on top of the buidlings and you couldn't see any thing. I suggested a hot drink to warm us up, then go back on the subway which is what we did. After changing into dry clothes, we went of to meet the others for the play All My Sons by Arthur Miller. I'd read the play and had done a synopsis on it but never seen it.The play was excellent. John Lithgo who originally out of Third Rock from the Sun played the main character. At the end of the play, the man who wrote the story took a bow with the cast.
    After the play we all went back to the diner for tea. This time I was also celebrating as it was my wedding anniversay so I lifted my glass in spirit to my hubby in England. After dinner, we went to see another play about a group of students acting out different themes with no dialogue just music. I was so tired at the end of it, I was glad to go back to the hostel and retire.
    Our last day Thursday, I took my self off round NY and visited Madam Tussauds which is much smaller than ours, then I went to central park and can now claiim I went Ice skating on it (and didn't fall down). We walked every where that week, but the other thing I found really good was meeting different people at the hostel and having conversations with them. People were very friendly and open, easy to get on with. I would love to go back again if given the chance. The week was a very good experience plus educational with all the history around.
    I thank the uni for a wonderfull opportunity .
    with love from New York.

    ReplyDelete